Having abandoned my blog for a while and then chancing upon it tonight, I was surprised at how much of my drafts' contents I had forgotten about. Some memories brought a smile to my eyes at preserved ideas from books long consumed, and other memories made me aghast at how dramatic events of late seem to have pushed other events way back in my sense of time.
The internet never forgets.
Most people view forgetfulness as a curse (like myself, when studying anatomy and physiology, ugh!). However, forgetfulness also plays a blessed role in overcoming grief and loss that I would be completely dysfunctional without. With time our vivid memories of longing fade, and we are able to move on and return to happiness. Forgetfulness is a gift that technology cannot comprehend. The internet impedes a natural process to our detriment. When we accidentally come across an old email, or stumble upon the facebook profile of someone with unpleasant associations, this reignites memories that natural evolution would have kept out of the way... and our collective emotional status is worse because of it.
Although having a blog makes it harder to keep past events in the past, I like how it serves as a timekeeper, documenting what was on my mind at different points throughout the year. Memory and forgetfulness both have their place and I thank Hashem for each.
No comments:
Post a Comment